In our latest blog, we talked about the most important part of organizing your home office: evaluating your needs and designing your office space to fit your lifestyle. Now that you have your perfect home office- how do you organize it? Try some of these helpful hints:
1. PURGE! That’s right- it’s time to clean out your home office. Get rid of things that you don’t need and that are just taking up space. A general rule to follow is: if you haven’t used it in a year- throw it out! So, throw out those broken pens, old papers and magazines, and any other unwanted office supplies. By keeping things neat, tidy, and efficient you will streamline your office and your time.
2. Clean out your filing system. That’s right… we know nobody ever wants to do this… But, it will be helpful. We promise. It’s time to sort through those endless piles of paper. Shred unimportant files and organize your important ones. Just doing this will give you peace of mind when you walk into your office.
3.Clear off your desk. In order to feel organized your desk to be a clean space. Don’t store office supplies, printers, papers, mail, etc. on top of you desk. Clearing off your desk will make your space less cluttered. When designing your home office make sure you account for enough storage space.
4. One of the more accessible cupboards should include a space for your most current projects. Including incoming mail, bills to be paid, and outgoing mail. Stand-up file folders should help to organize your documents.
5. Clean out your computer. Yep, you’ve cleaned up your physical files and now it’s time to clean out your virtual ones. Spend an evening going through your computer and cleaning it up a bit. Erase old documents that you don’t need and create new files with short and definitive names to store the documents you do need. Name your pictures files by date so that you can easily find a picture you are looking for.
6. Buy a document shredder and a wastebasket for your office. This will help with anything unnecessary piling up around your office. Immediately shred any unwanted mail with personal information and toss the rest.
7. Place a picture or another sentimental piece to make your office feel more personal.
8. Consider carefully how you want to decorate your home office. More than likely you will spend a lot of time here. Consider what type of design elements you want to incorporate and slowly begin to add colors you want to incorporate. For design ideas see this Classy Closets’ blog post, and watch for more like it very soon.
Are you feeling inspired yet?! Okay, go! It’s time to start checking off some of your New Year resolutions. With these easy tips, your home office should be brag-worthy in no time. For more information about our custom-built home offices, visit our website and schedule a free in-home consultation. It’s never been a better time to schedule an appointment for a home office; Classy Closets is currently offering $500 off a custom-designed home office.