Search Classy Closets Blog
In our latest blog, we talked about the most important part of organizing your home office: evaluating your needs and designing your office space to fit your lifestyle. Now that you have your perfect home office- how do you organize it? Try some of these helpful hints:
1. PURGE! That’s right- it’s time to clean out your home office. Get rid of things that you don’t need and that are just taking up space. A general rule to follow is: if you haven’t used it in a year- throw it out! So, throw out those broken pens, old papers and magazines, and any other unwanted office supplies. By keeping things neat, tidy, and efficient you will streamline your office and your time.
2. Clean out your filing system. That’s right… we know nobody ever wants to do this… But, it will be helpful. We promise. It’s time to sort through those endless piles of paper. Shred unimportant files and organize your important ones. Just doing this will give you peace of mind when you walk into your office.
3.Clear off your desk. In order to feel organized your desk to be a clean space. Don’t store office supplies, printers, papers, mail, etc. on top of you desk. Clearing off your desk will make your space less cluttered. When designing your home office make sure you account for enough storage space.
4. One of the more accessible cupboards should include a space for your most current projects. Including incoming mail, bills to be paid, and outgoing mail. Stand-up file folders should help to organize your documents.
5. Clean out your computer. Yep, you’ve cleaned up your physical files and now it’s time to clean out your virtual ones. Spend an evening going through your computer and cleaning it up a bit. Erase old documents that you don’t need and create new files with short and definitive names to store the documents you do need. Name your pictures files by date so that you can easily find a picture you are looking for.
6. Buy a document shredder and a wastebasket for your office. This will help with anything unnecessary piling up around your office. Immediately shred any unwanted mail with personal information and toss the rest.
7. Place a picture or another sentimental piece to make your office feel more personal.
8. Consider carefully how you want to decorate your home office. More than likely you will spend a lot of time here. Consider what type of design elements you want to incorporate and slowly begin to add colors you want to incorporate. For design ideas see this Classy Closets’ blog post, and watch for more like it very soon.
Are you feeling inspired yet?! Okay, go! It’s time to start checking off some of your New Year resolutions. With these easy tips, your home office should be brag-worthy in no time. For more information about our custom-built home offices, visit our website and schedule a free in-home consultation. It’s never been a better time to schedule an appointment for a home office; Classy Closets is currently offering $500 off a custom-designed home office.
The beginning of a new year comes at the perfect time. After months of holidays, parties, eating, and collecting more stuff- January comes around and allows you to slow down, contemplate, and organize your life. Making goals and having a fresh start is infectious. Is one of your goals to become more organized? Over the next few weeks, follow along on the Classy Closets’ blog for some tips and ideas on how to organize different spaces in your home. Today we are tackling the home office.
Your home office may be a small nook in your home or an entire room, but either way- it’s important to keep it organized. We are constantly trying to stay and feel more organized in life and your home office is the epicenter of organization. It stores your calendars, work information, important appointment dates, pictures, and files. If you want to get uber-organized in the new year- your home office is the perfect place to start. Here are some of our best design ideas and organization tips for creating a streamlined and organized office.
1. Evaluate your individual needs. Ask yourself these questions:
-What is this space primarily used for? Work, storage, kids doing their homework?
- Do you have a computer, printer, scanner, copier, or multiple computers?
-Do you need space to spread out your work or do you work primarily from your computer?
-Do you have wires that need to be contained?
-Do you need a built in file system?
-Do you have books to store?
-Is this space a multi-purpose room? Do you need space/storage for other activities or hobbies?
Evaluating the needs of your space is the most important part of organizing your home office. Once you get that done, your half way there!
Classy Closets offers an endless possibility of uniquely designed home offices. We understand that our customers each have different needs. We take time to discuss your needs and wants, and to create the perfect home office for you and your family. If you need a new home office or updates and renovations on an old one, contact Classy Closets for a free in-home consultation.
Happy 2014 to you all! Classy Closets is gearing up for a great year and we look forward to helping make your year great as well. To start the year off right– we are going to be giving some organization and design tips. We want to help you be as organized and inspired as possible! So if you have a goal to get organized and design your home, follow along on the Classy Closets blog.
Try pairing some of these contemporary design elements with one of Classy Closets unique and personalized home offices.
On our Countdown today: all-white Christmas decorations. We love them. They are simple and classic. They are understated and yet they really leave an impression! It doesn’t matter if you’re going for a modern, traditional, Victorian, or any other look- all-white Christmas decorations can be transformed to fit any design-aesthetic.
Here are a couple tips to help you when decorating with all-white:
1. Not all of the decorations need to be the exact same hue and/or color. Use some off-whites, creams, and even whites with hues of gray and blue. This will help add interest to your space and help it from feeling one dimensional.
2. Throw in pops of metallic decorations for visual interest and sparkle. Silver, gold, or copper decorations are a great way to add extra
3. Dedicate certain spaces to all-white decorations. If you choose to decorate with all-white decorations on your hearth, side table, front door, etc., you are not limited to all-white in other spaces in your home or even in the same room. Greenery and other colored Christmas decorations will help to accentuate your choice of all-white decorations.
4. Go to a local second-hand/thrift store to find less expensive Christmas decorations that you could spray paint white. This will keep cost low and give you a fun Do-It-Yourself project!
For more Christmas ideas, tips, and designs- keep following the Classy Closets blog until Christmas Day.
There is only one more week until Christmas! And, it’s time for our Christmas Countdown! For the next seven days we will countdown some of our favorite Christmas gift ideas, designs, and decorations. We love Christmas and all it brings- the joy and peace of giving to others and time spent around those we love. Merry Christmas to you all!
DAY ONE: Christmas Garlands
A garland is a decorative cord that can be hung on a Christmas tree, hearth, bookshelf, or anywhere else that needs a little Christmas cheer. Originally Christmas garlands were made primarily from pine needles and pine trimmings. Today however, Christmas garlands can be made from anything and everything. Take a look at some of our favorite Christmas garlands. We think these would look great hung from a Classy Closet bookshelf or entertainment center:
To share your favorite garlands or to share photos of your own garlands and for a chance to be re-posted on the Classy Closets Blog and Facebook page- upload your photo and tag us in your Facebook post and/or hashtag your Twitter picture #classyclosetschristmas. We look forward to seeing your photos!
Ok, ok- let’s talk more about libraries, books, bookshelves and comfy couches! You don’t have to twist our arm! We aren’t done talking about them yet, either.
After our last blog post about libraries and bookshelves- we’ve been collecting new ideas and dreaming about creating some unique Classy Closet’s libraries. The possibilities are endless and we absolutely love some of the creative and beautiful ideas we have seen for decorating your bookshelves.
Here is a list of some of our favorite ideas:
*Add a different color to the walls behind your bookshelf. This helps to deepen and enrich the colors in the room and to bring out your bookshelf- making it even more noticeable. (Image via rightupmy-alley.blogspot.com)
*Add personal touches by incoporating family heirlooms, pictures, favorite decor and more. A book shelf will have more visual interest if it is not lined completely with books. (Image via Lonny Mag)
*Try organizing your books by color and likeness for a creative and bright- but tailored look.
*Take advantage of extra bookshelf space by implementing home decor. Allow some of the bookshelf to be used by things other than books.
*Solid colored books and decor stand out and give an extra pop to your bookshelf. By looking at the bookshelf below you can easily see how the solid-colored items stand out more easily and give extra dimension.
*Lighting is everything! Try lighting your bookshelves with over-shelf lighting.
*Vary the height of the design elements in your bookcase. Create visual interest by creating different dimensions.
What can we say? We love a good bookshelf. Most especially if it is decorated to express your unique style and creativity! Contact Classy Closets today for a free in-home design consultation! Creating your perfect library or bookshelf is just a call or click away.
Is it just us- or does the fall weather make you want to curl up and read a really good book? We love the thought of curling up in a big, over-sized arm chair in your very own custom library or choosing a book from your own beautiful bookshelf. In order to create your own custom library- you don’t need a spare room, any extra wall storage or nook in your house can be transformed into the perfect library space. Classy Closets can create the perfect custom library space in your home.
Take a look at some of these custom library spaces for more ideas on how and where you can create your own custom library with Classy Closets.
Have an extra foyer or large hallway? Transform your space into a wall to wall, floor to ceiling library.
A blank or boring wall in your family or living room can easily be transformed into a library-like space. Add a ladder for extra charm and appeal.
How do you feel about a dining room turned library? It’s a bold move and may have you smitten or not so much…
Here’s another great idea to spruce up any hallway in your home.
We love the idea of turning an extra storage closet into a fabulous and beautiful library.
Do you have extra tall ceilings in your home? Consider a library that is high off the floor and can add flare and drama to any room. All you need is a Classy Closets designer and a high library-ladder and your ready!
Are you ready to snuggle up and read already?! Give Classy Closets a call and let us do the work for you! We love designing custom libraries and bookshelves as much as we love reading a good book. We’re here for you.
We love the idea of enhancing your space with a beautiful area rug. And, is it just us- or do rugs keep getting more and more gorgeous?! We love the combination of purpose and luxury that rugs can bring into a space.
Rugs serve an important purpose in your home because they help to define and distinguish space. For example, placing a rug in a living room or bedroom will help to define the boundaries of your space and will help to convey the size of the room. In an open concept home, rugs can help to distinguish between different spaces- allowing you to define boundaries for your home. Area rugs help to guide the eye to different areas in your home and recognize them as such.
But, let’s get to the really fun part about rugs: the beauty. No matter the size, style, or material of the rug you choose- rugs are placed in a home to enhance the beauty. Rugs can enrich and brighten rooms and can help to tie the different elements of your home together. For example, the right color and pattern of rug will help to accentuate the color or your walls, furniture, woods, pillows, etc. When picking the perfect rug for your space consider what color and pattern will help to enhance your home.
When you follow a few simple guidelines rugs effortlessly compliment your home. Here are some of Classy Closet’s best tips:
*Pick the right size of rug for your space. A rug should help convey the size of the actual space. Do not pick a rug that is too large or too small. A good rule of thumb is that the rug should be slightly smaller than the furniture in the room. Follows is a list room by room of some helpful guidelines:
Living room: When the rug goes under the first two legs of the couch or chairs the room and rug both appear larger.
Hallway: Choose a rug that is a bit wider than the doors in the hallway.
Entryway or Foyer: Choose a rug that fills the space and is not farther than 18 inches away from the wall. If you choose a circular rug place it right under the light fixture in the foyer.
Bedrooms: Do not place small rugs around the room. The general rule is that a rug should run perpendicular under the bed under the bottom 2/3’s of the bed.
*Choose the right pattern for your space. A small and reoccurring pattern is a safe bet for almost any space. However, if you are going to be covering your rug with furniture, make sure that there is not a large pattern or print that will be obscured.
*If you have patterned pillows, window treatments, etc. then choose a rug with a different size proportioned pattern. It works well to mix patterns if the proportions are different.
*Choose the right rug for your lifestyle. For example, if you are in high-traffic areas try choosing a wool rug. Most importantly, research your rug and talk to people before investing in a rug.
*You are not limited to one area rug per space- large spaces can be divided by using separate rugs. Try using to similar sized rugs to split up the room.
*Use a non-skid rug pad under the rug that is about 2 inches smaller than the rug area itself.
*When layering rugs, make sure they work well together and still tie in the furniture pieces. Layering rugs is a bold, modern technique- you do not need to add bright colors or loud patterns. Allow the bottom rug to poke out from the top rug- do not have extremely disproportionate rugs.
It’s football season, baseball play-off season, hunting season and basketball season is just around the corner. All of this can only mean one thing- it’s also Man Cave season! A Man Cave is the ultimate hang out for the guys and the perfect place to enjoy a game, display your sports memorabilia or hunting spoils and relax with some friends. But before you hang up the posters and put your big screen on a little TV stand with wires hanging everywhere- check out Classy Closet’s Ten Man Cave Must-Haves:
1. Television- A Man Cave can’t be a Man Cave with no TV! Go ahead and kick-back, yell at the TV, and make bets with your friends all while watching your favorite sports team.
2. Entertainment Center- You need a place to put that slick television of yours. Only a custom Classy Closet entertainment center can give you what you are looking for. No matter how big your TV, what your system set up is, or the size of your space Classy Closets can create a custom entertainment center to be the focal point of your room.
3. Comfortable Chairs- This is a no brainer, really. Pull up a chair and relax. This room is all about you and you need a soft, comfy chair to relax.
4. Kitchenette- Whether you’re warming up frozen chicken wings and pizza or you want a little place to cook your own gourmet hors d’oeuvres a small kitchenette is a great option. Classy Closets can create a small, custom kitchen space that meets all of your needs.
5. Drink Bar- If you aren’t in need of a kitchenette a drink bar is a great alternative. Create a small custom space with a built in fridge and a small bar that you can sit up to and serve your friends some drinks.
6. Custom shelving- Go ahead! Create some custom shelving that will help you to display your favorite sports memorabilia and/or your latest mounts from this hunting season.
7. Drinks- Grab your favorite refreshments for your new drink bar or kitchenette!
8. Snacks- Go ahead and grab your snacks. Remember, what happens in the Man Cave stays in the Man Cave. No celery and carrots here…
9. Friends- Out of all the Man Cave Must-Haves this is the most important. Call and invite your friends, show off your new Man Cave, and start making bets for the big game (and that brings us to number 10…)
10. A Good Game- Sit down and watch the big game on your TV in your custom entertainment center, grab snacks from your kitchenette or drink bar, and enjoy the big game.
Take a look at some of these Ultimate Man-Caves for more ideas and don’t forget to call Classy Closets to help you create your Ultimate Man-Cave. Whether you need an entertainment center, kitchenette, drink bar, or memorabilia shelving- we’ve gotcha covered.
| Grand Junction
North Las Vegas
Salt Lake City